Wednesday, January 4, 2012

HOMEMADE HAZELNUT EXTRACT!

So, while at my in-laws' house over Christmas vacation, I gave my two sisters-in-law and my mother-in-law some flavored coffee syrups.  One chocolate, one vanilla, and one caramel.

I told my sister-in-law that I was kind of on a mission to figure out how to do hazelnut syrup since a lot of people had said that would be one they were interested in.

I googled "hazelnut coffee syrup recipe" and any other combination of words to absolutely no avail.

I checked the supermarket spice aisle for "hazelnut extract."  No dice.

Today my sister-in-law sent me an AWESOME e-mail--with a link to a site that showed how to make (drumroll, please!) hazelnut extract!!

How exciting is that?!

The recipe can be found here on The Purple Foodie.


So, toast some hazelnuts, add it to a jar with some vodka and vanilla bean, and let it sit for a couple of weeks.

Excellent!

Then to make the coffee syrup, you're going to have to take 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water and let them heat on the stove until the sugar is dissolved.  Add in some hazelnut extract, and voila--Hazelnut Coffee Syrup!


YEA!  (Tap dancing around the kitchen).

So, if you're ever in the mood for a chocolate hazelnut coffee, all you have to do is make your own chocolate syrup, add in your homemade hazelnut syrup, and you're ready to go!

A big thank you to my sister-in-law...who probably has no idea I even have a blog.

1 comment:

Lorelei said...

Ooo, we love hazelnut coffee! I'll have to try it one of these days!